3 January 2015

Happy New Year ~ 2015

When you came along I began to experience everything again. Yet for the first time. Through your eyes. Through your questions:

"Mummy, how does the sugar factory make sugar?"

"Mummy, is Rudolph's nose bright to light the way so Father Christmas doesn't crash the sleigh and drop all the children's presents?"

"Mummy, when I was a baby, how did I tell you if I was cross?" 

We were listening to Simon & Garfunkel in the car today. You laughed "A person can't be an island, can they Mummy?" 
I try to impartially explain the world to you in a way you will understand. You have so much to learn. You missed going to "big school" in September because you were born in October. I hated your disappointment when your friends went up but now I see you, the oldest in playgroup. Helping the new "little ones". Looking after them. Showing them the way and taking on responsibilities. The curriculum can wait. I love watching you care and grow as a person. A brilliant little person. 
You don't ever want anyone to be disappointed. You won't ever pitch those around you against each other and won't tell anyone that they have failed or lost without rubbing their arm to comfort them and telling them that "practice makes perfect". No prejudices. You just care. I can't quite believe that my tiny little baby is now someone that I learn from every single day.
At 4 years old, with 2 imaginary friends, a keeness for all things pirate, a strong sense of empathy, an unbreakable bond with a rabbit comforter and the prettiest bright blonde curls you are a perfect mixture of your own personality and the world around you. Don't ever change baby. 
Because of you I've learnt to look after myself, to better myself, to be strong and to be your inspiration. I want you, my little girl, to be whoever you want to be and to aim for the stars. If I don't, I can't expect you to. 

Happy New Year sweetheart. I love you.

"For last year's words belong to last year's language 
And next year's words await another voice." ~ T.S.Eliot, Little Gidding (1942)




No comments:

Post a Comment